Sunday, January 30, 2011

17 Months & Pipe Cleaner Curls

Hi guys!
I am sooooooo exhausted with the new baby. It is weird how your life changes when there is a new little one in the house. I returned to work earlier this week due to high demand of everyone needing their taxes filed and the office being short staffed. So right before I went back I did what I promised I would do this year and that was take a step in the right direction and use some initiative to style my locs. Once again I had to postpone my appointment with my loctician for various reasons ie. scheduling, monies, the baby etc. So needless to say I have more than enough new growth. It looks like I have about a little more than 1/4 of an inch of new growth in my head. I notice that my hair is shedding a little bit after having the baby. I have seen people hair completely fall out and lose locs after having a child so a little shedding is the least of my concerns. The first thing I tried was the pipe cleaner curls. After researching on Youtube and looking at the various blogs on Google, I decided to make a run to Joann fabric out here in Canton, MI. Here are some of the things I liked and a few things I didn't like...

Likes:
1. Pipe cleaners create some of the tightest curls around. You can sleep on these curls for days, even live in a humid environment and these curls will STILL HANG ON TIGHT!
2. They are sooo cheap to put in. I only paid about 5 bucks for a pack of 100 chenille pipe cleaners. This definitely beats the $70 or $80 bucks I was about to spend on lock loops.
4. I can adjust the pipe cleaners how I saw fit. If I needed shorter ones I cut shorter ones for my edges. If I needed longer ones for the top and back of my hair, I didn't cut at all.

Dislikes:
1. They poke your head! Do not sleep with these things in your hair! Do not even lay down. My head is still a little tender from this.
2. Do not use these things if you are in desperate need of a retightening. They will snag your new growth and can compromise the base of your locs.
3. You must leave these in for a few hours. I can't really say that this is a dislike because if I curl my hair I usually do it on free time. But with the baby I need something fast.
4. Speaking of fast, be sure you set aside at least an hour to put these pipe cleaners in.
5. And lastly, I am not sure if I really like them on my short locs. Yes my hair is growing, but it is all about preference. I think they are cute, but a little wild on short hair.

Okay enough of that here is how they turned out.











No comments: